Thursday 12 July 2012

Cherub Spotting in Paris - La chasse cherubins a Paris!


I went to Paris for a short break a few weeks ago and came back with stashes and stashes of beautiful old things! I hunt wherever I travel to, but Paris may have become my favourite hunting ground! I’ve been to Paris just twice before – one of which was a flying visit for work, and I reckon on the other I was far too young to appreciate anything! My eyes were well and truly open this time. So within a few hours of getting there I saw this wonderful doorway cherub, and ofcourse I spent the rest of my time cherub spotting – and they are literally everywhere. I might have to move to Paris for a few months (who can leave lovely English weather for any longer?) just to live in an apartment with a cherub on the doorway!

The very first!
 
So between visits to beautiful old churches (La Madeleine is my favourite – I could sit there for hours), sitting by fountains and walking for several miles a day just to avoid the Metro (it really does smell), I managed to vist a 'Vide Grenier' (literally empty your attic/granary!), an antiques market, a retro & handmade fair, and Rue du Temple. The antiques market was full of beautiful and unaffordable things – how many chairs can I bring back on Eurostar? Rue du Temple is full of wholesale jewellery sellers with a lot of things that made me sigh out loud. There were however, a couple of shops there with jewellery components made from old tooling or they’ve turned vintage basically through sitting in the shop for several years. Also, my many years of learning French finally came in handy, as it just seemed to spurt out when I spotted something I had to have!

It's all in the details!

So here’s a piece inspired by my fleeting Parisian visit. This is a brooch with a cherub perching on some clockwork, much the same as I wish one would on my doorway some day.

Cherub perched on some clockwork, much the same as I wish one would on my doorway some day...

9 comments:

  1. I love Paris and desperately want to go back! My fiance and I considered going to Paris for our honeymoon, but we're both such Anglophiles we decided we should go to the UK and Ireland instead. Your clockwork cherub looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think London is just as wonderful if you take the time to appreciate it. I hope you had a lovely time and do hop on the train & come to Brighton next time you're here.

      Delete
  2. How cool! I love how even a place you've been before can become new when you notice different things. That happened to me when I started geocaching. Suddenly, all m familiar spots are full of secrets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it was just a matter of 'noticing' - I think I had matured considerably in the time since I'd last been (2001) and the fact that I was now making beautiful things means I look for inspiration everywhere. My work visit was basically a stressful meeting so doesn't count at all. Geocaching sounds fascinating!

      Delete
  3. hmm it seems to have lost my inspired comment - it was about taking time and looking up. People are often inspired, even in Nottingham, by some of the architectural features if they just happen to look up and notice them. I love the cherub on the watch - food for thought or even a sermon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, and it's too long since I've been to Nottingham. It's so easy to miss the obvious, and I NEVER look up!

      Delete
  4. Thanks all for your lovely comments. This was my first ever blog post so glad you enjoyed it! Took me a while to realise you had commented.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, I'm visiting Paris later this fall and am SO looking forward to it! I found your blog on the etsy blogging team so hopped over to say hello and follow :-)

    Angela
    http://www.whimsyways.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post about a wonderful place! Love Paris!
    -Jamie
    http://chatterblossom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete